Trees play an important role in nature. Not only do they enhance the beauty of the countryside, they provide valuable oxygen to all living things. Trees provide homes for many animals; a place of refuge to raise their young and remain safe from predators. Trees also add value to our homesteads by enhancing the aesthetics as well as providing shade. One common and very important maintenance routine of a tree is pruning. Pruning is the selective removal of parts of a tree including branches, buds and roots. Knowing how and when to prune your trees is vital to the health and well-being of the tree.
When should I hire an expert to prune my trees?
Understanding when to prune trees is important. Pruning at the wrong time of year can cause serious damage or even be fatal to your trees.
- Pruning weak, damaged or dead limbs can be done anytime of the year without causing damage to a tree.
- It is safe to prune all trees in late fall or winter when the trees are dormant because they are less likely to suffer from stress that pruning causes. They will lose less sap during their dormant period, and insects and fungus are less likely to cause any further damage to trees during this time.
- Trees that bloom in the spring can be pruned when they stop flowering.
- Trees that bloom in mid to late summer can be trimmed in late winter or early spring, before new growth starts.
Why is pruning my trees important?
Pruning trees on a regular basis is important to the overall health of the tree. Young trees should be pruned yearly while older, mature trees can be pruned about every five years.
Pruning is important because:
- It enhances the beauty of your yard.
- It encourages strong healthy growth of the tree, improving the overall look and weight distribution of the limbs.
- Stimulates fruit production in fruit bearing trees.
- Removes dangerous branches keeping people, pets, houses, buildings, powerlines, walkways, and roads safe.
- It is an effective way to combat disease and insect infestations.
- It can prevent further decay and damage of the tree.
Pruning trees can be dangerous to the pruner because of falling branches and injuries caused by improper or careless use of pruning tools. It can also be destructive to the tree when done improperly. Unless you are comfortable with what you are doing it is best to get help. The professionals at Z Tree Experts are the best choice when looking to hire pruning specialists. Serving Clifton, NJ and the surrounding area, we are here for all your tree care needs.